Friday, November 7, 2008

Candy Girl






I was overwhelmed by October! I was trying to manage B's safety at her preschool, after a parent letter went out stating that "Halloween was all about candy". There was also a parent that was insistent about bringing in "goodies" for the class, because it was her daughter's birthday. The preschool owner couldn't see how it was fair to deny her the right to celebrate her daughter's birthday at school.

I was weighing the pros and cons of being out in public around that time. I want B to have all the "normal" childhood experiences... I sometimes feel like I'm being overprotective. B had this grandiose idea of what trick-or-treating is. When I explained why we couldn't, I was again awed by her mature acceptance.

I prepared a candy bag for her filled with jellybeans and chocolate from http://www.vermontnutfree.com/ Vermont Nut Free chocolates. I have to say that this is the best tasting chocolate. It is great quality, delicious, and a staple in our home. She especially loved the marshmallow pop.
I use the baking chocolate to make other treats. Smurtles were a HUGE hit!

Smurtles






Ingredients:
Rice Krispies
Vermont Nut Free Chocolate Candy Melts
Marshmallows
Caramel

Using a mini cupcake baking pan fill cups halfway. Melt caramel according to package directions. Pour one spoon full onto Krispies. Add two small marshmallows in each cup, and top with one chocolate candy melt. Place in oven at 275 for approx. 5 minutes or until chocolate melts. Let cool in refrigerator until chocolate is hard again.


2 comments:

Elaine at Matters of the Heart) said...

Great idea, thank you for sharing this....

Bella's Mama said...

Becuse of the Soy-Lecithin ingredient in all of the vermont chocolate products, I will NOT be using them again in my home.